How Much Of A Role Does Habit Play In Our Lives
An interesting question raised to the forefront of my mind last week when something very interesting happened. As I stood outside my house, the day was like any other really, except a mini van drove by and as it stopped, an old neighbour that have moved some two weeks earlier rolled down his window.
Of course I said the usual “Hello” thinking that it was really nice of him to drive by and say hi! But did he? NO he actually stopped to laugh with me about this being the 10th time he had drove by his old house simply out of habit. He had been driving the same route to and from work for so many years he had programmed his mind to simply go on auto pilot, to drive to that house. Funny isn’t it? Funny how we can input something so far into our subconscious that even the excitement of owning a new house does not overpower the habit that we have ingrained. Has this ever happened to you? Now of course it might be a different situation all together.
I mean we have all been there right? We’ve all been behind the wheel of our car driving somewhere, myself it used to happen all the time on the way to and from work. I had about an hour and a quarter driver to and from work everyday. Most days I would all of a sudden pull into the office parking lot and I would stop and think… How Did I Get Here? never really giving any thought to the lights, speed, traffic, or pretty much anything else. I just seemed to be on Auto Pilot. So if we do it with these pretty crucial things like hhhmmm, let me think DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE
It brings up some BIG question does it not? Like:
- What beliefs about adversity are we making into habits?
- What are we driving into our subconscious mind that is hindering our growth, our life, or our family?
- What negative thoughts are we drilling into the abyss of “I can’t do that”
These questions have to be addressed, could they be what is holding you back from really going after what you want? Are they key factors in the adversity that always seems to hit you? These questions can spawn so many others that the list will just keep going on and no and on.
- So what’s the solution?
- What do we need to do first to start down the road to achieving OUR goals?
- How do we overcome these internal forces that always seem to control our thoughts and feed us with the:
“I can’t do that because I don’t have the skill, time, finances, health, youth, or knowledge!”
Here ar a few key steps you can start walking today that will bring you to a brighter tomorrow.
- Understand that these thoughts do exist and when they come out during those “Little Conversations” you have with yourself. Create a trigger to eliminate them. I use “Switch” I simply yell …SWITCH…. in my mind to clear it. It works like a charm for me.
- Create a daily routine where you add new and vibrant ideas into your mind about what you are truly capable of. Start a journal of these amazing things, I personall do one in the morning and before I go to bed. I once heard from Jack Canfield that writing these wonderful thoughts and feelings out before you go to bed allows the “Interweb” (Your internal internet service) to work on them as you sleep. SO you mind has already started to work on the solutions, people, and situations to help you solve your adversity.
- And Finally, take ACTION I you want to ease the negative thoughts that come into your mind that have been place dthere through habit or any other way for that matter. YOU,/strong> and only you have the ability to beat it.
Motion Creates Emotion
Powered by Facebook Comments